Youth & women have remained in the focus of all the nonhealth activities of SEWA Rural. Youngsters in rural India are trapped in a vicious cycle of poverty, ignorance and lack of opportunity. To bring about some change in the situation and to provide opportunities to the deprived youth, a vocational training centre was started in 1987. Now every year some 200 youth are trained in Vivekananda Gramin Tekniki Kendra. The trades include Turner, Fitter – welder, Gardening, Electrician,  Environment Plant Operator in which 10 months of theoretical and incampus practical training is followed by first hand exposure & experience of     2 months in nearby Ankleshwar & Bharuch industries. During second year all students are placed in industries for on job training under the liaison of VGTK staff. Regular meetings between trainees and staff are held to find ways  to strengthen the training. Beside technical competence various other components like group prayers, sports, library etc. activities inculcate values of discipline, punctuality and hard work for value based life.  As a result industries give preference to our trainees. After completion of 2 years training, 100% students are placed on jobs. To minimize dropout from jobs, VGTK supports students in various ways.

(1)            Achievements of 2 – decades·

  1. Total students admitted (28 batches) – 2482.
  2. No. of student completed training  – 2079 (84 %).
  3. Tribal students – 1122 (54 %).
  4. SC / OBC – 512 (25 %)·
  5. Others economically poor – 445 (21 %)·
  6. Job placement  – 2079  (100 %).
  7. Operating Self Employment Units – 45 (2 %).

However these youngsters naturally face some difficulties at the training centre as well as in industries as they hail from interior rural and tribal areas. In any case more and more young people are satisfactorily completing their training and are earning reasonably well, thereby contributing towards the betterment of their families.

Electrical service centre taking up Jobs of maintenance of home appliances and house wiring & production cum training centre manufacturing fabrication items in larger number is providing better training opportunities and more resources for the VGTK. The programme was evaluated in 2003 & 2007 by an external agencies which have commended most of the achievements and confirmed fulfillment of objectives of the VGTK.


1986 – 2011
Students Enrolled
Training Completed
Gainfully Employed
Operating Self-employed workshops

Delhi based CAPART has provided sizable finance for this Gumandev based technical training centre. Several indigenous industries and trusts, including Mumbai based Sir Ratan Tata Trust and Ur Asha Javeri Foundation, organizations and individuals from India & abroad made possible the training as well as economic betterment of more than 1500 youth & their families.

Expansion & Revitalization of VGTK :

With significant financial assistance from Tribal Development Department of Gujarat Government under Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana & US based well wisher, Chandrabhai & Kumudben Shah, this project commenced from April 2009. Gujarat Government has approved grant for recurring expenditure incurred only for tribal students for 10 years. For capital cost, project of Rs. 759.73 lacs has been approved from which Government will bear Rs. 569.8 (75%) lacs. Remaining amount Rs. 189.92 (25%) lacs will have to be raised by SEWA Rural. Major portion of this sum has been contributed by well wisher.

With capital grant of Government & contribution of Chandrabhai, new construction of workshops, hostel and class room will be done and new facilities like computer lab, new modern machinery and audiovisual aid will be added. As a result of this Government aided project, the duration of training will be extended from one to two years. The impact of this forceful initiative will be more availability of skilled industrial jobs to VGTK students and sustained improvement of 1000 students’ living level as well as their families during project period of 10 years. This will have multiplier impact of economic betterment (Kalyan of Vanbandhu).

Category: our-services · Tags:

Latest News

  • Use of technology for surveys

    SEWA Rural is organizing a workshop with title “Use of technology for surveys” on 20th & 21st December 2017The objectives of the workshop are - participate should be able to narrate the concepts involved in use of technology,  advantage - disadvantages of technology, task involved in technology, non-technology tasks to maximize use of technology in the survey, primary orientation of open source survey, and also able to make the basic application for the field survey. 
     Interested persons can contact us on and with subject title “Technology
    workshop”. The closing date for receiving application is 11-Dec- 2017.